My heart lies with GNU Emacs. It is probably my most used tool at work because I take a crapload of notes. The pages on this site are written in Emacs in markdown (because mkdocs supports it well). Some other notes are in org format. And the bulk of my work-related notes (dating back to 2007) are in one big fat plain text file that is, as of December 2017, 26252 lines long.
I'm pretty comfortable with Vim as well. I use it for quick and dirty editing for my projects. For longer sessions I invariably swtich to Emacs.
My dotfiles for both editors are at this github repo.
On a new machine I clone this repo, copy the dotfiles over and:
- If emacs, just start it. It downloads all the packages and I'm good to go.
- If vim, I clone
vundlefirst, then start vim and do a
Compile GNU Emacs on Centos/Fedora/RHEL
yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools" yum -y install gtk+-devel gtk2-devel \ libXpm-devel libpng-devel giflib-devel \ libtiff-devel libjpeg-devel \ ncurses-devel gpm-devel dbus-devel \ dbus-glib-devel dbus-python \ GConf2-devel pkgconfig \ libXft-devel wget https://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/emacs-25.1.tar.xz tar xvJf emacs-25.1.tar.xz cd emacs-25.1 ./configure make sudo make install
Disable underscore to subscript conversion in org-mode
Add this to the top of the .org file:
Or set this:
(setq org-export-with-sub-superscripts nil)
C-c C-pto cycle between headings.
TABon a heading to expand/collapse.
M-downto reorder sections.
M-rightto change the level of a heading.
M-RETinside a list to create a new bullet.
TABin a new bullet to indent it.
S-rightto change the bullet-style.
- [ ]
M-S-RETgives a checkbox.
C-c C-cchecks it.
- [X] When all subtasks are checked, so is the main one.
- [X] A trailing  in the line preceding a list of checkboxes contains a summary (2/3 in this case).
C-c C-efor everything.
h oexports to html.
#brings up common templates.
Org-mode code blocks
Set font in gvim permanently
- Change it for the current session and verify what it is set as with this:
- Copy the string and add it to .vimrc like so:
- delete trailing whitespace:
- pull onto search line:
/ CtrlR CtrlW
- open file name under cursor:
- increment/decrement number under cursor:
Larger guides from the rest of the internet are below.
- Elfeed for Emacs
- Comment boxes
- Publishing org files to html
- Fractals !!? in Emacs
- Huge eshell guide
- Animations in Emacs